Friday, July 13, 2012

Products I Regret Buying

Hey everyone!

Today I was looking through my makeup collection and remembered a stash I have cumulated over time just to make this post.  While I always do reviews on products I'm about to buy, sometimes I make impulse purchases that take a wrong turn.  Other times the product has great reviews, but it just doesn't work out for me.  Please keep in mind that although these products didn't work out for me, that doesn't mean they won't necessarily work out for you.

With that in mind, let's get started!


Burt's Bees Beeswax Lip Balm




While I've heard a lot of good things about the Burt's Bee's line, this product was just not very good.  I picked this up at Whole Foods for around $3 and only used it a couple of times before I set on another quest to find a good lip balm.  The smell is a little funny, but after a while it is tolerable.  However, the product was almost too waxy to the point where it just coated your lips, but did nothing more.  It sort of just sat there...  I totally prefer my Smith's Rosebud Salve since it has a great scent and actually takes off the dry skin on your lips!

More products after the jump!



Covergirl Eye Enhancers in Dazzling Metallics and Berries n Cream


After swatching Dazzling Metallics back and forth, there is still a lack of pigmentation.

Dazzling metalics swatched on hand.

Berries and Cream after a couple of swipes

Berries and Cream swatched on hand--ZERO pigmentation!

Okay, before I get into a full out rant about this product, I do have to say these are the only palettes that I've tried from Covergirl so while I may hate these, that doesn't mean all of the shadows are like this.  However, after experiencing this two times now, I find it hard to see myself purchasing another.  As evident above, these shadows lack any pigmentation.  All of the shadows are extremely chalky and hard to work with.  I tried using them wet and had no luck either.  It's ridiculous how terrible these shadows are.  The dark shadow seems to be the most vibrant but because it's so chalky, it applies so unevenly!  I can't seem to do anything with them, besides making room for them in the dumpster.  While I love other Covergirl products, this one is just a huge thumbs down for me.  If you need some good drugstore shadows, I highly recommend the ones from Wet n Wild.


Sally Hansen Crackle Top Coat in Antiqued Gold




Okay I've been keeping this guy in my makeup collection for the longest time, just waiting until I can get at least one use out of it and put it in this post.  Seeing the crackle phase, I decided to pick up this top coat when it just came out for $7!  Imagine, for just one extra dollar I could've snagged the OPI crackle coat that works 1000x better.  When I tried it on my nails it had a minimal effect.  While there was maybe one crack in the middle, my nails sure didn't look like the pictures.  I tried doing thin and thick layers with no success.  When I finally gave up I stored it in my nail polish collection only to revisit it and find that the polish was complete dried up!  The cap was secured tightly, yet the polish had literally turned into chunks of hard polish.  Not to mention, the brush was totally battered and destroyed.  A definite AVOID at all costs.


Claire's Mood Polish in Excited/Bored


When I first saw this on Youtube I thought it was SUCH a cute idea and just had to get my hands on some.  It's supposed to be a polish that changes colors according to your "moods"  (AKA Temperature).  The first polish I picked up did not work whatsoever.  I was so disappointed with the results and took it back, only to be given a hard time about returning things in the store.  Finally, I got to exchange it for another.  This time the polish actually changed color!  While it''s cool to look at once in a while, this polish chips like CRAZY.  I don't think I even had it on for a full 24 hours before it chipped away at itself.  That on its own just makes the polish not worth it.


L'oreal Teloscopic Original Mascara in Black




Too much products, not enough product.  Agree?

I know that this is a huge fan favorite for many mascara junkies, but I honestly do not understand it.  I've given this mascara so many tries and each tie it fails me.  The brush is poorly shaped so when you take it out, there is WAY too much product on it and not enough bristles to separate the lashes.  In a sense, it's just like apply wet mascara to your lashes with no comb at all.  This calls for a huge mess with unsightly clumps and spider lashes.  I also have a huge problem with the formula.  While I don't mind wet mascaras, this formula is just grossly wet to the point where it always smudges and clumps.  It also NEVER seems to dry!  It takes forever for it to be okay to touch your lashes without worrying about smudging anything onto your eyelid.  Please be aware, mascaras are very tricky to evaluate so even though I hate it, you may love it.


I hope that this post was helpful to you guys!  While it's always disappointing to have wasted your money on terrible products, hopefully this post will be able to prevent some of that.  have you ever tried a product you've regretted buying?  Leave a comment down below!

xoxo  Kaylie  <3

11 comments:

  1. I too am not a fan of the cover girl eyeshadows I have a few quads and trios and I really not a fan of them either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right, i'm trying to find away to make these shadows work! i'm going to see if I get any luck with turning them into loose powders. i'll let you know the results:) thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I really love your blog! I saw ur comments on elle and blairs blog and i read your blog everyday! Im so excited I can follow u now! I actually like ur blog better than Elle and Blair because its a lot more affordable :)
    -Natalie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much!! that means so much to us, we really appreciate it <3

      Delete
  3. That mascara is one of my three favs.But i understand i had trouble with it at first but using it for a while it became easier and seperates ur lashes better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh cool! i'll definitely try it again then, sometimes I find mascara works best after the formula gets older and less wet. thanks for the tip--i'll let you know if it works better for me!

      Delete
  4. But i actually use the clean definition one of that mascara.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the Claires Mood Nail Polish. I bought the color in Blue & it also chipped so fast! I didnt even have it on for a day before it started to chip. Ive never used it again since then :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I know right! The concept is so cool but it chips away so fast that you don't even get to enjoy it

      Delete
  6. I LOVE this website so much, I really enjoy looking through this and you both help me , a makeup beginer, Thankyou so much! xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! that really means a ton--if you have any questions about makeup, we would be glad to help!

      Delete